Do you have something to share with us? Do you have a new show? An interesting take or perspective on a hot topic? What about some exciting news that needs to be seen on Black Theatre Matters (BLM)? Then tell us about it!
An Invitation to Black Theatre Artists, Producers and Promoters
We welcome compelling, thoughtful news articles and thought pieces exploring, new works, historical events, recognition of Black Theatre artists and organziations, trending issues, principles, and ideas underlying Black Theatre.
What to Submit
We publish news articles and press releases that pertain to performing, creating and studying Black Theatre. We emphasize the positive case of inclusion, racial equity and cultural representation in Theatre. We avoid name-calling and personal attacks. We advocate a vision of a culturally-specific theatre that articulate the uniqueness, importance and benefit of Black Theatre.
How to Submit
Submit articles via email in MS Word format, or Google docs, with the Title of Article, Author Name as the subject line. Please include a sentence or two explaining the main idea of the submission, as well as a brief, one-sentence bio that we can use to identify you to our readers. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
With regards to announcements of programming, please submit no later than two weeks prior to the programming beginning. We receive a lot of submissions. Please don’t take things personally if we decline. There are all kinds of reasons pieces may not be a good fit for us at a certain time.
Great pieces will have the following characteristics:
- Be interesting. Be memorable. Think about whether this is an article you would click on, email to friends, or share on social media.
- Strong lead. Your opening should grab people and pull them into the rest of the article. Tell stories about people and events that are relatable.
- Be fair. No vague allusions: “Some say…many believe…” Be specific and cite sources.
- Be focused. There is a limit to what you can cover in a single article, especially if it’s a blog post. It’s better to pick one or two points and really nail them.
- Be clear. Be professional, but please submit articles in comprehensible English. Always remember what you are trying to communicate.
Technical Guidelines for Images
Please send the highest quality/largest size image possible.
- Photos should be a MINIMUM of 1800 pixels x 1200 pixels.
- Largest possible file sizes are always recommended to produce the best results.
TIP: Not sure how big your photo is? On your PC, right click on the photo icon. Select ‘properties’ from the menu, and click the ‘summary’ tab.
- We recommend using a 5 megapixel digital camera or better and use the highest quality setting when you shoot. If you use a camera phone, please change the camera settings to the highest possible quality setting and export the image off your phone at full size.
- Please do not distort the image by applying photo filters or effects.
- Do not attempt to increase the size of an existing image using filters or software. This will not improve the quality or make it appropriate for printing.
Format: BLM accepts high-resolution images in JPEG, TIF, or EPS formats. If you have not submitted images to BLM before, please keep your submission to fewer than 15 photos.
Send images to: email@example.com. If you are submitting several photos, we suggest using a file sharing service, such as Dropbox, or send a CD, DVD or flash drive to the BLM office. Disks or drives mailed to BLM will not be returned.
Black Theatre Matters asks for no exclusive rights to any article. Black Theatre Matters takes no rights from you but embraces the right to distribute articles accepted for publication in any format, including print, web, e-reader, and formats currently known or yet to be discovered. Black Theatre Matters maintains an open-reprint policy. We use the Creative Commons CC-by guidelines. In cases where an author’s content is syndicated, we will use specific language to preclude CC-by.
You must be logged in to post a comment.