Liberation Theatre Company (LTC) is proud to announce a new program for 2017 – 2018 that will further our commitment to the development of new Black playwrights for the American theatre. The Writing Residency Program will select four early-career playwrights and provide them with dramaturgical and professional support over a nine-month period, during which time they will each be required to complete a new full-length play.
Beginning in June 2017, selected playwrights will attend monthly group meetings to share and refine their works-in-progress in a collaborative, energized setting; meet individually with LTC’s Artistic Director and staff who will provide additional support for their artistic needs, concerns and process; and have the resources of a director and professional actors during two table readings as their play begins to take shape. Additionally, through connections with the larger New York City theatrical community, LTC will provide access to theatre tickets (when available) and seek to make introductions with artistic leaders to assist playwrights in advancing their careers.
The Residency will conclude in February 2018 with public readings of each playwright’s finished play. Upon successful completion of the program, each playwright will receive a $500 honorarium.
To be considered for the Writing Residency Program all applicants must be a) residents of New York City at the time of participation (June 2017 – February 2018); b) Applicants must have written at least two full-length plays or three one-act plays, and c) The applicant must not have received a production of any of their work that was more developed than a Showcase presentation under the Actors’ Equity Association production code.
Application Submission Procedure
To be considered for the 2017 – 2018 Writing Residency Program, Liberation Theatre Company will only accept submissions via this online form. If you have questions about the program or the application process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following materials must be uploaded and submitted in PDF or DOCX form no later than 11:59 PM EST on Monday, May 1, 2017. Make sure that all documents are properly labeled with your name.
- Completed Online Application Form
- Letter of Intent. This should be limited to 1,000 words and address all of the following points: Your writing career thus far and where you feel you are in your creative and professional life. Your career goals and how you will use the Residency to further those goals. Briefly describe the play you will complete over the 9-month program . Why you feel ready for a rigorous residency such as this. Have you participated in a residency/fellowship before? If so, describe your experience. Anything else you think may be relevant.
- A 10-page Work Sample that best represents you as a playwright
- The full script from which you selected your 10-page work sample
- Your playwriting resume (not a bio). Please include one personal or professional reference, with the person’s title or institutional affiliation, phone number and email address. (Referrer must be someone familiar with you and your work.)
- SUBMIT HERE: https://liberationtheatrecompany.submittable.com/submit
- Thank you! If you have any questions, feel free to touch base.